The Mama Ninja Shop

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Our Welcome to Summer Party


Every year the last day of school before summer vacation is a busy one for me. But it is, also, one of the best days.

We celebrate it like a holiday (doesn't everyone?) After all, this is the kids favorite day, after birthdays and Christmas right? Summer vacation should be celebrated! And it is so easy to do.

With just a little bit of work and planning on my end, the bright smiles and excitement of my kids as they get off the bus makes it all worth it!

Choose a Pin to save for later!

As soon as the kids leave for school my preparations start. Each year varies a little on the activities but here is the general breakdown of what I do and what you can do, too!

1. Make a banner


This is simple to do but it is the first thing the kids see as the bus drives up. Many years ago, I lucked up at a garage sale and found an almost full huge roll of plain brown craft paper. I have used it now for 7 years (talk about a great investment!)

But in case you haven't been so lucky, here's a great deal to get your own! Trust me, you will love how many ways this can be used!

36" White 40 lb. Butcher Paper Roll

It needs to be long enough to hang horizontally and easy enough to write on with marker or paint without smearing. I always hang it where it can be easily seen and the fun part? The kids have to run through it to get to their party! They absolutely love this part.




2. After school party snacks

You can use what you have on hand, make little sandwiches, a pizza, cupcakes, a sundae bar (my favorite!), or a variety of some sort. I try to make it special for them, maybe something that they don't get to enjoy all that often.

3. Party drinks!



First off, uh no, I do not serve my kids alcohol. That would be a huge no-no!

What I mean by party drinks is simply their favorite Kool aid, soft drink, milkshakes, or a simple punch. But presentation is key!

I usually keep on hand those little umbrellas, or fancy toothpicks that you can pick up for cheap at any dollar store and keep them in my "party box". (More about my party box in an upcoming post later)!

Depending on what drink I'm serving, I can put cuts of fruit on the fancy toothpicks, or say, a chocolate marshmallow for a milkshake, just make it as festive as you can! One of my favorite ideas is putting the drinks in mason jars, instead our usual cups or glasses, especially with milkshakes. You can coat the sides with chocolate or caramel sauce, too.

4. Activities



I like to change this up and give a nice variety for the kids. I set up the garage or party area with several games to choose from.

This can be some of their favorite outdoor activities (bikes, chalk painting, frisbee, scooters), some homemade carnival type games (my son loves stacking cans and knocking them down), or any activity that your child loves.

This is a great time to pull out some games or things they haven't played with in a while. I always get that surprised "I forgot I had this" look when I do.



5. Party on!

Greet them off the bus with their special party drink and let the mayhem begin!

We always end our special day with a night by the fire with marshmallows and grilled burgers. If you have a pool, a night time swim (with glow sticks!) would be perfect!

And, since we live in South MS, we have plenty of mosquito spray handy and citronella torches lit!

So, here's to Summer!

May it be not too hot, not too short, and, always, may it be celebrated!


18 comments:

  1. Such a fun idea! I remember those feelings of being so excited about summer break. I could only imagine how much more excited I would have been coming home to a "Welcome Summer" party! Great suggestion!
    *Samantha- https://herjournal.blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute ideas, I'm sure they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute and fun idea for the kids. A great way help them remember their summers as a child and remember happy memories. I'll have to do this with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Do it, your kids will love it!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE THIS IDEA!! Super cute and creative. I am always looking for an excuse to throw a shindig and this is perfect. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me, I'm always on the lookout for an excuse to put a little umbrella in my drink and fancy snacks LOL! I'm happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. Seriously this is the best idea! I would of never thought of celebrating summer vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited you enjoyed it. It's so much fun! One year I got too busy and the kids were so disappointed! So, I surprised them that weekend early.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of a summer kickoff party. As a former teacher I think I looked forward to summer break more than the kids! Children love celebrations of any kind, these are great simple party ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My Mom was a teacher, so I know she looked forward to that last day, as well. I so appreciate your stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of a huge "Welcome to Summer" sign that the kids run through to their party! Summer should be celebrated! Way to bring the fun, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Gina! That sign is now a necessity... They love it!

      Delete
  8. How cute is the banner? I love that idea for kicking off the summer in a fun way. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you liked it! The banner is a favorite part of the whole evening!

      Delete
  9. I love this idea to make kicking off summer fun for kids! We’re starting summer break today so I need to try them!

    ReplyDelete

About



Hi, there! My name is Shannon Dewease and I'm so happy you found my blog. I am from beautiful South Mississippi and live here with my family. My life can get a little chaotic, comical, and down right complicated, as you will find out. I can't wait to begin sharing my misadventures with you!

Social Media Channels...Follow Me!