The Mama Ninja Shop

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

5 Amazing Ways to Raise Thankful Children


If you are a Mom, then you know how hard it is to get our children to count their blessings. It is a daily struggle and I'm right there with you!

We all want to spoil our precious ones with love and affection, but not raise spoiled children, right? 

I thought I would share some effective ways for children to learn to be grateful and have a thankful heart that will last thru their adulthood.




Show them your thankful heart

Children learn by example, as we know. If they are hearing you say, "Thank you", often, it will become just a natural thing for them to say.




At snack time, I ask them to name something or someone that they are thankful for.

It doesn't have to be full of sentiment and gushy feelings, just whatever THEY are thankful for. 

The words pizza and recess come up a lot! And that's ok! And while we enjoy snacks or even later in the day, I ask them why they are thankful for whatever it was they chose.

This gets them thinking about the why and might start a wonderful conversation!

No surprise that my daughter's answer was pizza but when I asked the why?

She said because we make our own pizzas and she loves being in the kitchen with me.

*Heart melting*




Challenge them to smile or say hello to 3 new people every day.

I remind them that some children may not get smiles or encouragement every day from home or school. Your smile or kind words may be the only one they get all day.

After I started the daily smile challenge, my daughter upped the game!




She set a goal for herself to compliment someone everyday.

It may be the cashier or the lunch lady, but she says to them, "I like your hair" or "Your face lights up when you smile!"

I love this idea and really love that it was all her idea!





After times of disaster, we, of course, discuss it as a family.

I let them lead in what children their age might feel who are going thru it. 

We then decide on ways that we might be able to help. Whether it be donating clothes, toys, or just sending cards to victims, we decide how to best help them.

Don't forget to Pin!

These are just a few of the many ways to make an impression on a growing and learning little heart!

What kinds of things do you do with your children to teach thankfulness? I would love to hear about them in the comments below!

Speaking of a loving heart, do you know how to react when a friend says that they have cancer? Read all about my tips on what to say and not to say and see what you can do to show them you care!

Subscribe to join my Chaos for more great tips, family fun, and misadventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About



Hi, there! My name is Shannon Dewease and I'm so happy you found my blog. I am from beautiful South Mississippi and live here with my family. My life can get a little chaotic, comical, and down right complicated, as you will find out. I can't wait to begin sharing my misadventures with you!

Social Media Channels...Follow Me!